Common Auto Accident Causes
What You Need to Know About Auto Paint Matching
Every car owner knows how frustrating it is to suddenly find a ding on the car door. When you see this type of blemish on your car, you can easily opt to do paintless dent repair to remove it. However, if the dent is in an inconvenient location or if it’s too deep, many auto repair shops would have no choice but to go with traditional methods. This type of dent repair requires patience and attention to detail from an expert mechanic. Fortunately, those who are living in San Antonio Texas and surrounding counties need not look further. Miracle Body and Paint is more than able to expertly remove that irritating dent not only through paintless dent repair but also using the traditional method:
When it comes to traditional dent repair, the first step is accessing the opposite side of the panel and shaping the sheet metal back to its original form if possible. If the panel’s backside is not accessible, small metal sticks are placed onto the panel exterior. A special tool grabs the stick in order to pull the sheet metal.
- Paint stripping – The paint on the damaged area is sanded away until at least 3 inches away from the dent on all sides. A straight edge is used to determine how much filler is needed.
- Body Filler Application – Bondo or body filler is applied after the sheet metal is formed properly. Bondo is a durable, sandable plastic resin that sticks well to a car’s metal. The technician will quicly spread the filler. It will be sanded, feathered and smoothed after. Skilled technicians know that using less filler is better in the long run and is only used to smooth the surface.
- Repair Area Blocking – The body filler is sanded to a smooth consistent texture. At this stage, the technician must ensure that there are no imperfections since any imperfections are seen in the final product.
- Repair Glazing – Spot putty are usually used to correct minor imperfections. Spot putty is a type of filler that’s finer and sands easier. This can be applied directly with no mixing required.
- Sanding – Another sanding is done to even all the spot putty away.
- Repair Area Priming – The damaged area is masked off. Then a primer/sealer is sprayed on to keep moisture away the body filler. Neglecting moisture at this stage can result to rust.
- Painting – After priming, sanding is again done to sand away the body fillers. After which, painting is done as a final step.