Get Maximum Mileage This Winter Season (PART 2)
Avoid These Car and Driving Habits
Now that new year is just right around the corner, this is the perfect time to get that ever reliable family car ready for parties and gift-delivery duties. Miracle Body and Paint in San Antonio Texas gives you some simple maintenance checks that can help you have a stress-free driving this season.
- Inspect your car properly to make sure all the lights are working. This includes the high and low beams, flashers, directional signals and brake lights.
- Can’t remember the last time you had the wiper blades replaced? Do it now. Even a good quality blade often needs replacement in as little as six months. Signs that it’s time to change wiper blades are cracks, tears, streaking and missed spot. Just head out to a good auto body repair shop to have the installation.
- Driving through slushy, salt-covered roads needs a lot of washer fluid to keep the windshield clear. It is better to keep a gallon in the trunk for emergency. Switch to a washer fluid with an anti-freeze agent if it gets really cold outside.
- Extreme cold damages mechanical components. Make sure to check the radiator and heater hoses for any cracks or leaks. Hoses must be firm but still be pliable. Anti-freeze mix must be changed at least every two years to prevent corrosion build up.
- Under-inflated tires are unsafe. Make sure to have a tire gauge in your glove compartment so you can check your tires before any trip. Your manufacturer manual has the correct pressure you can follow.
- If you frequently travel, you can consider investing in a set of winter tires. This type of tires has tread patterns and rubber compounds specifically designed to get a better grip on snow and ice.
- It is a good practice to have a few basics with you in case of emergency. Your emergency kit should have cell phone and charger, flashlight, first-aid kit, fire extinguisher, warning light or flares, jumper cables, and the proper clothing including a hat and gloves.
Be sure to check Miracle Auto Body and Paint blog regularly for more auto tips and tricks.