What Good Auto Collision Shops Offer
How to Tell if an Auto Body Shop Did a Good Job
Auto paint job flaws, such as over spray or poor color choice, are quite obvious. However, many signs of a bad pain job are subtle and difficult to identify. It might be easy to miss small streaks, runs, or poor edge work when looking at an entire surface. Paint also takes several weeks to cure, and the sheen and brush strokes you originally thought it has may change. Neglecting those sheen and brush mark inconsistencies can linger permanently. If you know what to look for, you can easily tell quality work from cheap methods. Miracle Body and Paint in San Antonio, TX lists signs that can help you figure out if you’ve received a bad paint job:
- Sags/Runs – These are the most common auto paint job errors. Having sags, drips, and dried streaks in professional painting is inexcusable. You can tell poor brush or roller technique by the shadows forming around and under them.
- Paint splatters/drippings – Take the time to check the floor, furniture, and walls adjacent to the painted surface. If you see splatters and drips, this means that the auto shop did not use drop clothes or employ correct “cutting in” techniques.
- Stipple – Stipple refers to the texture or pattern that is left behind by paint rollers. A wrong brush was used if you see stipples that are quite heavy.
- Over spray – This happens when paint is not correctly applied. Different factors may affect this process, including the spray tip, weather conditions, and use of spray shields. A knowledgeable auto paint shop knows how to handle these situations.
- Improper/incomplete substrate repair – If you notice chalking, staining, peeling, or an inconsistent texture or sheen on your paint job, this indicates that you receive poor interior or exterior substrate work.
- Unprimed Stains – Stains will bleed (show through a finished coat) if they were not properly masked by a primer.
- Poor coloring – Poor color application leads to uneven color or blotching. Also, the paint shop didn’t coat or prime the surface properly if the color did not turn out correctly.
When you notice any of these signs, contact the shop that did the work and don’t be afraid to give them the opportunity to fix the issue.
For auto paint job services in San Antonio, TX, don’t hesitate to contact Miracle Body and Paint!